Rosa Parks Green

City of Holland Michigan Official Website

Rosa Parks Green

Location

Rosa Parks Green, formally known as College Avenue Park is 3.2 acre park located between 19th and 20th Streets east of College Avenue.

History

The park was originally called 19th Street Field. There was a baseball field at this facility in the 1940’s. Home-plate was originally located midway between College and Columbia Avenues. Holland Independence, a team in the Federal League, played at this field. Several Holland Independence players played under assumed names in the Grand Rapids Class “D” State League, because they played on Sundays, which at that time was against the Holland establishment. Several players were recruited to the White Sox’s farm team a “Lefty” Van Werien, who lived in East Saugatuck, was recruited to the Cubs farm team.

Amenities

  • Play structures
  • Group picnic shelter
  • Loop walking path
  • Two half-court basketball courts
  • Large open lawn area with a baseball backstop